"Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn" - Ben Franklin
M&M Program - Holli Chisholm, Retention Project Coordinator
As members of the Big Bend Community College Peer Mentoring and Mentee Program (BBCC M&M) we will strive to create a brighter future for our fellow students by utilizing peer mentoring and service-learning as means to enhance retention and improve academic success. While being a part of this program we expect to gain knowledge and experience that will benefit not only the students of Big Bend but also the communities we serve.
Mentors work one-on-one with other Big Bend students to help them access resources, make connections, and assist them with dealing with college life. The mentors also participate in other events such as:
- Coordinate and take part in Service Projects based on campus and/or in the community (Events Calendar)
- Take campus tours of designated 4-year universities with BBCC students
- Volunteer at campus events (new student orientation, partnering university SSC events, annual Job and Career Fair, Latino Ed fair, etc.
- Attend leadership and mentor workshops
Benefits of Being a Mentor:
- Develop mentoring and leadership skills
- Connect and contribute towards your campus community
- Empower others to succeed
- Improve communication and people skills
- Increase academic confidence
- Network with faculty and students
- Participate in Service Learning
- Make new friends
- Build your resume
- Have fun
Are you interested in becoming a 2012-2013 mentor?
Check it out now. (PDF) (WORD)
Benefits of Being a Mentee:
- Improve understanding of BBCC resources and procedures
- Establish academic networks
- Gain support and encouragement from BBCC faculty, staff, and mentors
- Develop civic and work force skills
- Explore campus events
- Make new friends
- Have fun
Are you interested in becoming a 2012-2013 mentee?
Check it out now. (WORD) (PDF)
2012-2013 Spring Quarter Mentors:
| Octavio Alvarez
|| Hannah Chisholm
|| Chris Rangel|
| Carolina Ayala-Torres
|| Corey Kelly
|| Jose Sanchez|
||Miracle Joy Curtis
|| Patricia Nelson
|| Jared Stearns|
|| Jessica Ramsey
|| Tony Villafana|
April Mentor of the Month - Chris Rangel
Chris Rangel has been chose for mentor of the month for April. My favorite thing about Chris is that he is always looking for ways to make someone's day better. He is a great example of what being a mentor truly means. When Chris sets his mind to something he goes above and beyond to accomplish it. Chris has participated in numerous service projects throughout the year and has dedicated countless hours to the M&M program.
Chris has exceptional leadership skills. When asked, he is always willing to assist with activities when needed. He helps with campus tours to potential BBCC students, and recently facilitated a training workshop to over 40 students who participated from other Washington State college campuses.
Service Projects (Winter Quarter Calendar)
Fall quarter projects included a canned food drive and BBCC mentors and mentees working to spruce up a childcare center.
2012-2013 College Visits TBD